Sunday

Grandma's Eulogy

LaVerne Mary Schott – Eulogy
December 1, 2007

I am LaVerne’s third grandchild, Paula. I wanted to give the eulogy today for my grandma as a way to show my respect and honor her. However, I wasn’t sure what to say. I was told to talk from my heart and that is what I’m going to do.

LaVerne Mary Schott wore a numerous number of titles. She was a wife, a mother of 5, a grandma to 6, a great grandma to 2, and a friend to numerous. To some this may not have been a lot, but to grandma… I believe that this was perfect. She loved her family and devoted her life to them. I grew up with her always being around. In fact, during my grade school years she practically lived with us caring for my brother and I while my parents worked. During this time, I actually found it odd that my friends didn’t have a grandma living in their homes.

Grandma babysat for all of her grandchildren at some point. Sometimes, most of us at the same time. I’m sure that we all have several memories of growing up being so close to her. Here are a few of my memories

I remember lying with her at night before bed going through family members full names, asking her questions about when my mom was little, and just cuddling. I remember the piles of books that she would read to my brother, the way she never noticed when Kim and I would sneak pots and pans from the cupboards to play drums with, and how patient she was with us.

One of my strongest memories is a phrase that Grandma used to say to me. “Hate is a very strong word.” When I was growing up saying that I hated someone or something came easily. Every time I did though, grandma would say “Hate is a very strong word.” I didn’t think that much of it at the time, but I’ve noticed that as an adult I don’t say the word hate very often. Grandma’s words have embedded themselves in my head.

I can honestly say now though that I hate how much this hurts and I hate watching my family hurt.

I’m proud to have been able to have spent as much time as I did with my grandma.

Grandma, I know that you are out of pain now. I love you and miss you terribly. Thank you for everything.

0 comments: